Saturday, March 8, 2008

Offbeat bride

I consider us pretty "offbeat" and more so lately.

I have been looking at website after website (i'm talking THOUSANDS!) dedicated to weddings, and really, I'm just so tired of having the world dictate what I "must do" regarding our wedding.

Neither Brent or I are particularly religious, despite his growing up in a Jewish household and my attending a Church of England school, we fairly much sit firmly near the agnostic/atheist belief border. Also, as we will already have had a civil ceremony to satisfy those evil f*^$ers at USCIS (United States Customs & Immigration Service), we will not actually be "getting married" on our wedding day. What I am finding cool about this, is that we can have ANYONE "marry" us. This is also the uncool thing. Too many choices. The wedding magazines say I should have an officiant. I disagree. Shouldn't I have someone who means something to us do the honours? I just need to think who would do the best job... any votes??

By-the-by, I am currently reading "Off Beat Bride 'Taffeta-Free Alternatives for Independent Brides'". It's a great book that is working hard to remind me that all that's important is that the wedding is ours. Keep it as authentic to the two of us as possible. We plan on it :)

No comments: